Install, configure, optimize and support databases used for production, staging and development. Design robust disaster recovery and business continuity technology and strategy into the production database environment. Perform as a subject matter expert on both RDBMS and NoSQL databases. Troubleshoot database related issues with an emphasis on a fast-but-cautious approach. Ensure system is secure both within and adjacent to the database.
Duties include writing procedures, leading projects and mentoring staff. Position will require work outside of normal business hours including on-call support and may require occasional travel.
- Database Systems
- Ensure database platforms in production maintain an optimized and consistent configuration
- Ensure operating system configuration follows best practices when running database software
- Create and keep updated a disaster recovery plan for all production databases
- Maintain and refactor the monitoring and alerting strategies for production databases
- Handle data recovery requests to production, staging, or dev in a timely manner
- Work closely with DevOps on database configuration, monitoring, and changes
- Scope and Troubleshoot production issues that involve database functionality
- Make recommendations and implement operating system or database configuration changes to improve performance and availability
- Database Software
- Be an expert on the following database platforms: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, MSSQL
- Be familiar with ORMs and how they relate to database design
- Ensure normalization and cybersecurity best-practices are followed where applicable when new databases, tables, or schema are created
- Proactively identify and optimize slow running queries in concert with the development team
- Provide advanced and rapid technical support and problem resolution
- Keep current with new IT trends and emerging technologies and identify those that would help achieve company objectives
- Participate in the training and development of others
- Project Management
- Define, launch and manage projects to completion
- Provide accurate time estimates for the duration of the projects and strive to complete them as estimated.
- Manage project priorities and expectations
- Advise system administration when more system resources need to be allocated, and be able to quantify the amount and impact of resources required
- Work with development in an advisory capacity for database design and query structure
- Assist development with refactoring database design in legacy applications
- Recommend and attend training courses and conferences
- Assist with developing and monitoring backup and replication systems
- Assist with creating and enforcing database security policy and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Applicable certifications are a plus
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- 5 years’ minimum experience in RDBMS
- 3 years’ experience in NoSQL is a plus
- Database installation, configuration, administration, theory and design
- Ability to quickly scope database issues and plan for resolutions
- Self-motivated with the ability to take the lead on major projects
- Ability to mentor
We offer an excellent compensation and benefit package, that includes access to free medical care at The Knapheide Family Wellness Center (only applicable to Quincy, IL employees) as well as an opportunity to be part of a successful and growing organization.
Interested candidates should APPLY ONLINE to submit a resume in complete confidence.